Accepting proposals for 2017 residencies
Deadline June 1st
The Fredericton Region Museum is pleased to be hosting its artist-in-residence program for another summer.
The artist-in-residence program seeks to inspire artists with Fredericton’s diverse and rich heritage. Art inspired by history can enhance connections between the museum and the public through its various forms. The program is open to local artists, working in a visual media, whose work relates to Fredericton’s history.
The artist studio will be located in a main floor gallery. During the three or six weeks of residency, the artist(s) will be expected to work in the studio allowing visitors access to the creative process. The artist(s) will be expected to provide a hands on activity in their space for museum guests. They will also agree to participate in media interviews intended to promote the program. Artists are to provide their own working materials and assist with promoting the residency.
The FRM will provide a gallery in a heritage building (approximately 9.5’ x 14.6’) to be converted into a studio, artist stipend, advertising as well as opportunities to display and sell their work; their existing artwork in the gallery during their residency.
The Artist-in-Residence will be a practicing artist with a portfolio of published or exhibited works. Applications are accepted from visual artists and other creative individuals.
Residencies are for July and August, with two artist-in-residence who will be on site for 3 consecutive weeks each within the 8 weeks or one artist for six weeks. The exact dates within the residency are flexible and will be detailed in a signed agreement.
Hours of Residency
A minimum of 4 hours a day and five days each week, preferably in the afternoons plus community events, such as Canada Day and during the museum open house event if it falls on a residency week.
• Current curriculum vitae, including exhibition record
• Visual-work examples – jpeg format DVD, CD (image 300 dpi).
• Short statement of interest and a description of work to be carried out during the residency. The applicant should also describe why she/he wishes to do the residency, and what particular perspective he/she will bring to the program
• Indication of public access programming to be offered by the artist, for the public at large and for young people
• Indication of which three weeks the artist preferred for the residency
• Two artists may make a joint application, each submitting visuals and other information, if they are prepared to share the stipend and working space.
• Applications must be received by June 6 for summer residencies.
The artist(s) must agree to present a gallery exhibition or show, depending on medium, at the Fredericton Region Museum.
2016 – Jennifer McInnis-Wharton (sculpture artist) and Morgan Dugdale (visual artist)
2015 – Marsha Clark (visual artist) and Samantha Brittney (fashion)
2014 – Derek Davidson (post-impressionist painter) and Mary Grant (rug hooker)
2013 – Miguelina Izaguirre (Peekaboo Shadows Theater)
Submit proposals to the museum office by June 1.
This project is made possible through a contribution from the city of Fredericton. Thank you!
Leave A Comment