The Fredericton Region Museum was founded in 1932 by the York-Sunbury Historical Society. The Society was formed in 1932 and now has members from all over North America, however, most are from central New Brunswick. In 1959, the Museum found permanent headquarters in the Officers’ Quarters (571 Queen Street) in the heart of downtown Fredericton.
The York-Sunbury Historical Society and Museum remain a nonprofit enterprise with a small paid staff and numerous volunteers. They work tirelessly to create informative exhibits, organize programs and events as well as publish a local history periodical The Officers’ Quarters.
The Fredericton Region Museum is the home of the famous Coleman Frog. He is the 42lb wonder that lived in the Killarney Lake just north of Fredericton over 100 years ago.
The Fredericton Region Museum is a gateway into the exciting history and diverse heritage of central New Brunswick. Because central New Brunswick is where the provincial capital is located, and because it served as a meeting place for Aboriginals, Loyalists, Acadian, and other European settlers, the Fredericton Region Museum is an excellent place to start. With over 4,000 square feet of exhibit space and a collection of over 30,000 artefacts the museum is a fun and exciting way to look into our past.
The Objective of the York-Sunbury Historical Society, Ltd.
To collect, preserve and interpret historical data, records and objects relating to the history of the Province of New Brunswick, and in particular that of York and Sunbury Counties.
Please consider supporting the Fredericton Region Museum and the York-Sunbury Historical Society by donating online.