A notice from the New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women – reprinted with permission.

The New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women has launched a Women’s History Map, an online listing of sites and landmarks of importance to the history of women in New Brunswick

The website lists over 125 monuments, statues, residences, factories, schools, parks, gravestones and even sites where buildings once stood. 

The Advisory Council Chairperson Elsie Hambrook said the Council wanted to include physical representations of where events occurred related to women’s rights, where females first broke into traditionally male-dominated fields, where women’s groups acted for change, where adventure-seekers and creative minds left their stamp, and where strong and spirited women made herstory in the shadows, raising children, working for pay, running businesses and volunteering in their communities.

Ms. Hambrook said the History Map grew out of the massive response to an invitation of the Advisory Council in the summer of 2010 to send in local history landmarks that relate to women in the province.

The History Map can be searched by county, by name of a person or group and by keywords. It is found at www.nbwomenshistory.ca

“Some important women, groups and milestones are missing from the list, because there are no physical sites to point to relating to them.  We hope historical societies, governments and groups will rectify this in the future,” concluded Ms. Hambrook.



Molly Kool House  –  Slated to open as a museum at the Alma entrance of Fundy National Park in summer 2011.  Molly Kool (1916-2009) was North America’s first female sea captain. She began her career as first mate on her father’s boat, learning to do everything from repairing the engine and setting the sails to sewing canvas. She studied navigation and in 1939 passed the exam for her master’s ticket, entitling her to command a steam or motor propelled vessel in North America. She captained a scow for five years in the Bay of Fundy, before moving to Maine.

First World War Cenotaph  –  In front of Carleton County Courthouse in Woodstock.  The list of local citizens who lost their lives during the First World War includes one woman: Anna B. West, a Centreville-born nurse (1885-1919) who served with the American Red Cross at the front in Belgium in 1917-1918.  She died in her early 30s as a result of contracting meningitis while serving after the Armistice as a nurse in Germany with the American army of occupation.  Her gravestone can be found in the Centreville United Baptist Cemetery.

Milltown Cotton Mill Workers Monument  –  Milltown Boulevard, St. Stephen.  The large bronze sculpture unveiled in 2007 pays tribute to the workers at the St. Croix Cotton Mill between 1882 and 1957. It shows a female worker holding spindles of yarn while a male worker heaves a bolt of cotton onto his shoulder.  . By 1950, the mill employed about 1,000 workers, the majority of them women.  Certain jobs were considered to be women’s work, and paid far less than male positions. Two of the first women delegated to the meetings of the N.B. Federation of Labour came from the mill in the 1920s.  More than $200,000 was raised from retired workers, local businesses, individuals and unions towards the sculpture.

Plaque for Daphne Paterson  –  Old Millidgeville airfield.  Daphne Paterson (1905-1982) was Canada’s first female commercial pilot (1929), air transport pilot (1937) and female air instructor (1942). Despite her qualifications, airline authorities refused to hire her.

Monument to Andréa Mailhot  –  Corner of boulevard Saint-Pierre Ouest and Allée des Chenard, Caraquet. Erected in 2009 by the Femmes acadiennes et francophones de Caraquet (with the town of Caraquet and Comité vert) in a park paying tribute to Andréa Lanteigne-Mailhot (1918-2005), for her volunteer work in health, education, culture, religion and social activities and her dedication to improving hospital services.

Pays de la Sagouine – Bouctouche. This theme park brings to life writer Antonine Maillet’s fictional Acadian character « La Sagouine » (the Washerwoman), from her 1971 play.

Whelpley House  –  Carter’s Point, Kingston Peninsula.  Unlicensed physician Eliza Cox Carter (1821-1899), her ship captain husband John and their six children lived in this house from 1854, shortly after the family arrived from England.  Eliza studied medicine at Edinburgh University but as a woman was barred from writing the final examination. Her services were in demand in a region where there was no doctor for miles. Her reputation as a healer lived on in oral stories, and she left behind diaries of her own as well as a book of remedies and recipes.

Tante Blanche monument and museum –  Tombstone in the Saint-Basile Cemetery and Museum on Main Street in Madawaska, Maine (once part of New Brunswick).  Marguerite-Blanche Thibodeau (1732-1810), known as “Tante Blanche”, provided exceptional aid to the Acadian settlers in the Madawaska region during the famine of 1797.  Oral tradition tells of her caring for the sick and going door to door asking those who could afford it to give to the poor.

Filles de Marie de l’Assomption Convent  –  10, Place de l’Église, Saint-Quentin.  This local historic place marks the role of the Daughters of Mary of the Assumption congregation in the development of Saint-Quentin. Arriving in 1924, the nuns ran the schools in Saint-Quentin until 1965. The convent served as a residence for the nuns from 1952 to 1972.

Dr. Elizabeth Secord Tombstone, Diploma  –  Tombstone in Blissville Baptist Church Cemetery. Medical diploma in the Currie House Museum, Fredericton Junction.   The first woman licensed to practice medicine in New Brunswick grew up in Sunbury County and began her practice there. Dr. Elizabeth Secord (1841-1916) was born Elizabeth Smith into a family of nine children. She met her future husband, John Secord, when she taught public school in Norton.  She decided to become a doctor when she became a widow in her early 30s, with a young son in tow. No Canadian medical school accepted women, so Secord earned her MD in 1881 from Keokuk College, Iowa. She also trained at the Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago and did post-graduate work at the University of Dublin.  It was in face of “somewhat bitter opposition” that she was registered as a physician in New Brunswick in 1883. 

Malabeam Statue – Roadside in Grand Falls. Malabeam or Malobiannah was a Maliseet woman who according to legend was the daughter of a hunter who lived during the 1300s at the fort at Meductic, Upper St. John River Valley. Captured by the advance scouts of a Mohawk war party, she saved her village by guiding the warriors into the deadly waters of the falls.

Give Me Space art piece –Art and Cultural Centre, 331 Acadie Avenue, Dieppe.  Commissioned to commemorate the World March of Women 2000, which brought women from around the world – including 139 from New Brunswick – to New York and the United Nations to raise their voices against violence and poverty. New Brunswick women also rallied at the provincial Legislature to present the government with these demands, which led to government action plans on violence against women and on the wage gap.

Connell Farm  –  47 Nowlanville Road, Miramichi. This farm was constructed by Thomas Gorman around 1860. By the late 1870s, his widow Elizabeth Gorman was operating a County Poor House from the residence, as well as continuing to operate the farm and being the area’s midwife. “She personifies the strength and role that many women found themselves in as widows in rural area New Brunswick”, says the New Brunswick Register of Historic Places. Connell Farm is also recognized for its association with Frank Dolan and his wife Ellen Dolan, a school teacher who contributed articles from a woman’s perspective in the widely circulated United Farmers Guide.

Codys Women’s Institute Hall  –  1 Codys Lane, Codys.  The building is a Provincial Historic Site for its typical late 19th century community building architecture and its association with the Women’s Institute.

The hall was constructed in 1870 and has been used by the local Women’s Institute since 1927.

Former office of New Brunswick Native Indian Women`s Council – 65 Brunswick St., Fredericton.  The New Brunswick Native Indian Women’s Council was formed in 1981 when over 200 Aboriginal women from communities across the province came together in a General Assembly. They wanted a provincial organization that would advocate for the special needs and concerns of Aboriginal women.  In the early 1980s, with some funding from the Secretary of State, the Council set up an office in the old Victoria Health Center in Fredericton and hired an employment counsellor to provide services to Aboriginal women. The Council lobbied for reforms including the repeal of some discriminatory sections of the Indian Act and the establishment of Gignoo Transition House for Aboriginal women victims of violence and their children.  Dissolved in the later 1990s, it was replaced in 2000 by the New Brunswick Aboriginal Women`s Council inc., which still lacks stable funding.



Le Conseil consultatif sur la condition de la femme a lancé une Carte de l’histoire des femmes au Nouveau-Brunswick, une base de données sur internet indiquant les lieux importants pour l’histoire des femmes au Nouveau Brunswick.

Le site donne des détails au sujet de plus de 125 monuments, statues, résidences, usines, écoles, parcs, monuments funéraires et lieux où se trouvaient autrefois des édifices importants.

La présidente du Conseil consultatif, Elsie Hambrook, a dit que le Conseil voulait inclure toute représentation physique d’endroits où des événements sont survenus en rapport avec les droits des femmes, où les femmes ont été les auteures de « premières » dans des domaines à majorité masculine, où des organisations féminines ont agi pour provoquer un changement, où des femmes en quête d’aventures et ayant un esprit créateur ont laissé leur marque, et où de nombreuses femmes courageuses et fortes ont fait l’histoire des femmes dans l’ombre, en élevant des enfants, en travaillant contre rémunération, en exploitant une entreprise et en faisant du bénévolat dans leur collectivité.

Mad. Hambrook ajoute que la Carte est le fruit de suggestions fournies en grand nombre par les gens du Nouveau-Brunswick à l’invitation du Conseil consultatif à l’été 2010 de faire connaître des lieux importants à l’histoire des femmes dans la province.

La base de données permet des recherches selon le comté, le nom d’une personne ou d’un groupe et certains mots clefs.  Le site est au www.histoirefemmesnb.ca

« Il y manque des femmes, des groupes et des événements importants parce qu’aucun lieu ne leur sont relié.  Nous incitons les sociétés historiques, les instances gouvernementales et les groupes à corriger ces lacunes, » de conclure Mad. Hambrook.




Maison/Centre d’interprétation Molly KoolÀ l’entrée du parc national Fundy dès l’été 2011.  Molly Kool (1916-2009) est devenue en 1939 la première femme capitaine de bateau en Amérique du Nord. Elle débute sa carrière comme première lieutenant sur le chaland de son père où elle apprend tout : réparer le moteur, prendre la mer, coudre la toile. Elle étudie aussi la navigation et réussit l’examen de certificat de capitaine, ce qui lui donne le droit de commander un navire à vapeur ou à moteur le long de la côte de l’Amérique du Nord. Molly pilote un chaland pendant cinq ans dans la baie de Fundy avant de déménager au Maine.

Cénotaphe de la Première Guerre mondiale – Devant le palais de justice de Woodstock.  Une femme fait partie de la liste des citoyens de la région qui ont perdu la vie au cours de la Première Guerre mondiale: Anna B. West (1885-1919), une infirmière née à Centreville qui sert avec la Croix Rouge américaine sur le front en Belgique en 1917-1918. Elle décède au début de la trentaine après avoir contracté une méningite, lorsqu’elle travaille comme infirmière en Allemagne avec l’armée américaine d’occupation. Sa pierre tombale se trouve au cimetière United Baptist de Centreville.

Monument des ouvriers de la filature de coton de Milltown – Boulevard Milltown, St. Stephen. La grande sculpture en bronze dévoilée en 2007 rend hommage aux femmes et aux hommes qui ont travaillé à la filature de coton St. Croix entre 1882 et 1957. Elle représente une travailleuse qui tient des fuseaux de fil et un travailleur qui soulève un rouleau de tissus. En 1950, la filature compte environ mille travailleurs, en majorité des femmes. Certains emplois considérés revenir aux femmes sont beaucoup moins bien rémunérés que les postes réservés aux hommes. Deux des premières déléguées aux réunions de la Fédération des travailleurs du N.-B. au cours des années 1920 sont des ouvrières de cette filature. Plus de 200 000 $ ont été donnés par des ouvriers à la retraite, des entreprises, des particuliers et des syndicats en vue de la réalisation de cette sculpture.

Plaque en l’honneur de Daphne Paterson – Ancien terrain d’aviation de Millidgeville.  Daphne Paterson (1905-1982) est la première femme à devenir pilote commerciale au Canada (1929), à devenir pilote de transport aérien (1937) et à pouvoir faire de l’entraînement aérien (1942). Malgré ses qualifications, les autorités aériennes refusent de l’embaucher.

Monument en hommage à Andréa Mailhot – Coin du boulevard Saint Pierre Ouest et de l’allée des Chenard, Caraquet. En 2009, les Femmes acadiennes et francophones de Caraquet (avec l’aide de la Ville de Caraquet et son Comité vert) ont créé un parc en l’honneur d’Andréa Lanteigne Mailhot (1918 2005), en reconnaissance de ses efforts dans les domaines de la santé, de l’éducation, de la culture, des œuvres religieuses et sociales.

Pays de la Sagouine – Bouctouche.  Ce parc thématique donne vie au personnage de la romancière Antonine Maillet, appelé « La Sagouine », de la pièce publiée en 1971.

Maison Whelpley – Carter’s Point, péninsule de Kingston. Eliza Cox Carter (1821-1899), médecin non autorisée, son époux John, capitaine de bateau, et leurs six enfants ont vécu dans cette maison à partir de 1854, peu après leur arrivée de l’Angleterre. Eliza avait étudié la médecine à Edinburgh, mais une femme n’a pas le droit de se présenter à l’examen final. Ses services sont en demande dans la région, où il n’y a pas de médecin sur des kilomètres. Sa réputation comme guérisseuse survit dans les histoires orales et elle a laissé des journaux personnels ainsi qu’un livre de remèdes et de recettes.

Tante Blanche – Pierre tombale dans le Cimetière Saint-Basile ; Musée sur la rue Main, Madawaska, Maine (autrefois faisant partie du N.-B.).  Marguerite-Blanche Thibodeau (1732-1810), dite Tante Blanche, est connue pour sa contribution exceptionnelle auprès des pionniers acadiens de la région de Madawaska dans l’année de famine, 1797. La tradition orale raconte ses exploits, allant de porte en porte demander aux mieux nantis de donner aux plus pauvres et soignant les malades.

Couvent des Filles de Marie de l’Assomption – 10, Place de l’Église, Saint Quentin. Ce lieu historique local marque le rôle important des religieuses de la Congrégation des Filles de Marie de l’Assomption dans le développement de Saint Quentin. Arrivées à Saint Quentin en 1924, elles dirigent les écoles de Saint Quentin jusqu’en 1965. Le couvent sert de résidence aux religieuses de 1952 à 1972.

Pierre tombale et diplôme d’Elizabeth Secord – Pierre tombale dans le cimetière de Blissville Baptist Church ; diplôme médical dans le Musée Currie House, Fredericton Junction.  La première femme médecin autorisée à pratiquer au Nouveau-Brunswick a grandi dans le comté de Sunbury et y a établi son premier bureau. Elizabeth C. Secord (1841-1916) est née Elizabeth Smith dans une famille de neuf enfants. Elle fait connaissance de son futur mari, John Secord, alors qu’elle était enseignante à Norton.  Lorsqu’elle devint veuve au début de la trentaine, cette mère d’un jeune fils décide de devenir médecin. Les écoles de médecine du Canada n’admettent pas les femmes. Elle obtient son diplôme du collège Keokuk à Iowa en 1881 et fait des études au Woman’s Hospital Medical College de Chicago et à l’University of Dublin.  Elle fait face à une résistance forte en s’inscrivant à la profession au Nouveau-Brunswick en 1883.

Statue de Malabeam – au bord de la route, Grand-Sault.  Selon la légende, Malabeam ou Malobiannah, une Malécite, est la fille d’un chasseur ayant vécu au cours du XIVe siècle au fort, à Meductic, dans la vallée supérieure du fleuve Saint Jean. Capturée par les éclaireurs d’une expédition guerrière Mohawk, elle sauve le village en conduisant les guerriers dans les eaux meurtrières des chutes.

Œuvre d’art Fais moi une place –  Centre des arts et de la culture, Dieppe. Commandée par le Comité du Nouveau Brunswick pour commémorer la Marche mondiale des femmes 2000, qui a rassemblé à New York et aux Nations Unies des femmes de partout au monde – incluant 139 Néo Brunswickoises – qui veulent faire entendre leur voix contre la violence et la pauvreté. Les femmes du Nouveau Brunswick se rassemblent également devant l’Assemblée législative où elles présentent leurs demandes, ce qui suscite des plans d’action du gouvernement sur la violence à l’égard des femmes et sur l’écart salarial.

Ferme Connell – 47, chemin Nowlanville, Miramichi. La ferme a été construite par Thomas Gorman vers 1860. À la fin de la décennie 1870, Mme Gorman, veuve, y accueilli un refuge pour les pauvres et agit comme sage femme auprès de la communauté, tout en s’occupant de la ferme. Le Répertoire des lieux patrimoniaux du Nouveau Brunswick dit « Elle était un exemple de la force que dégageaient les nombreuses femmes qui devenaient veuves dans les régions rurales du Nouveau Brunswick. » La ferme est également reconnue pour son association avec Frank Dolan et son épouse, Ellen Dolan, une enseignante qui a écrit des articles exposant le point de vue de la femme dans la publication à grande diffusion appelée le United Farmers Guide.

Salle du Codys Women’s Institute – 1, allée Codys, Codys.  L’édifice est désigné lieu du patrimoine provincial pour son architecture d’immeuble communautaire typique de la fin du XIXe siècle et pour son association avec le Women’s Institute.  La salle est construite en 1870 et est utilisé par le Women’s Institute de la région depuis 1927.

Ancien bureau du New Brunswick Native Indian Women’s Council – 65, rue Brunswick, Fredericton.  Le New Brunswick Native Indian Women`s Council a été formé en 1981 lors d’une assemblée générale qui a réunit plus de 200 femmes autochtones. Leur souhait: la création d’un organisme provincial qui pourrait représenter leurs besoins.  Au début des années 1980, grâce largement au financement du Secrétariat d’État, le Conseil a ouvert un bureau dans l’ancien Centre de santé Victoria sur la rue Brunswick à Fredericton et a embauché une conseillère professionnelle en matière d’emploi pour offrir des services aux femmes autochtones. Le Conseil a fait pression pour divers changements, dont l’abrogation de certains articles discriminatoire de la Loi sur les Indiens et la création de la maison de transition Gignoo, pour les femmes Autochtones victimes de violence et leurs enfants.  L’organisme se dissout vers la fin des années 1990 et est remplacée en 2000 par le New Brunswick Aboriginal Women’s Council inc., qui manque toujours de financement stable.