The Fredericton Region Museum (formerly the York Sunbury Museum) was founded in 1934 by the York Sunbury Historical Society. The Society was formed in 1932 and now has members from all over North America, however, most are from central New Brunswick. In 1959, the Museum found permanent headquarters in the Officers’ Quarters (571 Queen Street) in the heart of downtown Fredericton.
The Society and Museum remain a non-profit enterprise with a small paid staff and numerous volunteers. They work tirelessly to create informative exhibits based on the history of Fredericton and surrounding areas, organize programs and events as well as publish a local history periodical The Officers’ Quarters.
The Fredericton Region Museum is the home of the famous Coleman Frog, the world’s largest frog! He is the 42lb wonder that lived in the Killarney Lake just north of Fredericton over 100 years ago.
Leave A Comment